Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Salmanic curses

How to make Islam look undignified in three easy steps:

  1. Be a Muslim (these things are always easier from the inside).

  2. Wait for an overrated writer to get a pointless award.

  3. Run around shrieking about ‘offence’, ‘Islamophobia’, ‘blasphemy’, ‘honour of the Prophet’, ‘suicide attacks’ and the like (you can do this on the streets with a burning flag, in a parliament while you should be scrutinising legislation, or in the comment pages of liberal newspapers).

4 comments:

Matt M said...

overrated writer

I've only read two of his books, but both 'Midnight's Children' and 'The Satanic Verses' are pretty good. It's certainly true that a lot of his fame stems from the death threats though.

Tom Freeman said...

I’ve only read one of his books – Fury – and I thought it was pretty weak. I considered asking for my money back, or for his head on a stick, but then I figured ‘hey, it’s just a book’ and did something else instead. I forget what.

Matt M said...

I don't know what kind of books you're into, but I'd recommend 'Midnight's Children'. It's a pretty good read - or at least I think so - and less likely to get you into trouble if you read it in public than 'The Satanic Verses' (which is fairly overrated).

Just make sure to cover up the name of the author, or use a marker pen to alter it. The works of Sapmon Rosdhie are less likely to attract hostile attention.

jams o donnell said...

Matt is right. Midnight's Children is well worth reading. I would also recommend Shame, The Moor's Last Sigh and the Ground Beneath Her Feet are well worth reading too. Avoid Grimus like the plague though