Friday, December 04, 2009

’Tis the season to be satirical

The Onion is more effectively anti-consumerist than a billion self-righteous Guardian articles:

New Device Desirable, Old Device Undesirable

With the holiday shopping season officially under way, millions of consumers proceeded to their nearest commercial centers this week in hopes of acquiring the latest, and therefore most desirable, personal device.
"The new device is an improvement over the old device, making it more attractive for purchase by all Americans," said Thomas Wakefield, a spokesperson for the large conglomerate that manufactures the new device. "The old device is no longer sufficient. Consumers should no longer have any use or longing for the old device."
…the new device is so advanced when compared to the old device that it makes the old device appear much older than it actually is. However, the new device is reportedly not so radically different as to cause confusion or unwanted anxiety among those familiar with the feel of the old device.
"Its higher price indicates to me that it is superior, and that not everyone will be able to afford it, which only makes me want to possess it more," said Tim Sturges, owner of the old device, which he obtained 18 months ago when it was still the new device. "I feel a strong urge to purchase the new device. Owning the new device will please me and improve my daily life."

Consumer Robert Larson agreed.
"I'm going to take my new device wherever I go," said Larson, holding the expensive item directly in the eyeline of several reporters. "That way no one on the street, inside the elevator, or at my place of business will ever mistake me for the sort of individual who does not own the new device."

3 comments:

Highest CD Rates said...

I agree with this article completely. Even me and my family waits for festive seasons to avail the best deals and latest technology products coming to market every season.

Home Security said...

I'm quite supportive to your ideas about festival seasons.

Hengist said...

'new device is reportedly not so radically different as to cause confusion or unwanted anxiety among those familiar with the feel of the old device'

We're not talking about Windows8 then