Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Ask the internet

Can anyone help me with this? I have an ageing mobile phone handset, and before it dies on me I’d like to save the photos I have stored on it to my PC. Now I’m damned if I’m going to shell out on some special cable that I’m only going to use once, so here’s my question:

Is there some sort of (free) web-based service where I can set up an account, text the photos to it, and then download them? Or any other solution.



Matt M said...


No idea whether it's any good or not though.

Matt M said...

Actually... couldn't you just text the photos to the new phone?

Anonymous said...

The old phone probably won't work once the new one is activated, right? Unless you have a new account or something.

I've never tried dashwire or had this problem, if all else fails you could ask a good friend if you could borrow their mobile, text the photos to him/her, then back to your new phone. It's a tedious solution which you've probably already thought of. Good luck.

Niall Smith said...

I assume you don't have bluetooth then?

Texting to a friend is probably the best idea.

You could try saving all your photos on the phone memory rather than the sim and then, when you have your new sim card, put it back into your old phone and transfer the photos onto the new sim and finally put the sim back into your new phone.

Some operators such as Orange seem to take a dim view on this though so I wouldn't recommend it without talking to someone at the shop - not always a pleasant experience.

For some reason, I feel the need to scratch my arse and and say 'oooh you've had the cowboys in here luv'.

Tom Freeman said...

Ta for the ideas guys.

Turns out that on my phone there's an option to send to an email account. And I have one of those. several, in fact.

This was news to me. I'm a bit of a techno-fool really...