Psychologists have identified 237 reasons why men and women have sex.
While love and attraction remain the clincher for many, for others it is about getting closer to God; gaining a promotion; revenge; or a way to get rid of a tension headache. Some of those asked said it was a reasonably effective way of overcoming boredom or burning up calories, while a few were attracted by the idea that it kept them warm, helped them fall asleep, or eased the stress of the day.
(Hat tip to Stroppybird – “Well call me a shallow floosie, but what other reason is needed other than its the most fun you can have with or without your clothes (or fishnets) on”.)
And at least now I can protest that no, I actually have a full 237 things on my mind.
I can’t find the full list of the reasons online, so I’m forced to guess at what it might include:
- Because we had to keep the Romanov bloodline alive.
- Because it says in the contract that I have to honour him with my body.
- Because I have no self-control or emotional maturity.
- Because I needed some excuse to leave a really boring party, and she looked like she probably did too, and then it would have been awkward not to.
- Because after my 71 sisters, I was the only virgin left in heaven. It was ironic: while he exploded very quickly, he didn’t take any of us with him.
- Because I’d accidentally taken two Viagra instead of aspirin.
- I’m not really sure, I was a bit drunk.
- Because I needed to distract her from my failings as a conversationalist.
- Because I needed to shut him up somehow.
- Because I needed something to say for this survey.
- No, there must be some mistake. I did not have sexual relations with that woman.
But no. Fun is definitely enough. Any more daft reasons, anyone?