Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The naked blogger

Calm yourselves. I’m typing this in a respectable office and I’m appropriately dressed. Nor have I become Jamie Oliver.

It’s just that I’ve been on holiday the last two weeks and I decided not to bother shaving for the duration; I got a decent amount of facial hair going. But, needing to appear respectable again, I got the razor out yesterday and hacked it all off. Afterwards, looking in the mirror, I frankly felt naked and very exposed without it. (Had my chin always been that boring?) Also I looked about ten years younger. Part of me wonders whether maybe I should make it permanent - albeit appropriately tended. No before-and-after mugshots to vote on, I’m afraid.

(After the first week it did start getting a wee bit ginger, mind…)

4 comments:

Matt M said...

That's the thing about facial hair - it does grow on you.

I'm facing the opposite dilemma at the moment. I settled on a (fairly short - the photo is quite misleading) beard after travelling around Europe about a year ago. Now I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't try out the bare chin approach again. (Suddenly facing the much younger version of yourself is an eerie experience though, I remember that from the time when I fluctuated between shaving and extensive stubble).

However, the main reason I went for the beard in the first place is because I otherwise have the choice of stubble or shaving rash. So I fear that, despite being too young for it in my opinion, the hair's here to stay...

Tom Freeman said...

"it does grow on you"

And I thought my puns were bad...

Anonymous said...

As my girlfriend says: 'What is wrong with a bit of ginger every now and then?'

jams o donnell said...

just a bit of ginger? lucky you! I dont bother with beards anymore. I always looked like I had a tortoiseshell cat pinned to my face!